Saturday, April 13, 2013

RETREAT DAY - Monk, Artist, Mystic

I promised myself a "retreat" day, and in life's usual way of surprising me, it didn't turn out at all the way I had planned.  I was to go off to a park for the day to enjoy an experience planned by a friend who leads retreats.  That was cancelled at the last minute, so I still had the day "cleared" and decided to make it an "at-home retreat."  

In a book by Christine Valtners Paintner called "The Artist's Rule."  Subtitle: Nurturing your creative soul with monastic wisdom, I discovered a twelve week plan for "Claiming monastic gifts for creative living." as she titles the introductory chapter.  John O'Donohue's quote opens the chapter this way: "The heart of human identity is the capacity and desire for birthing.  To be is to become creative and bring forth the beautiful."  Birthing! Yes, on so many levels...coming to life again and again in an infancy that allows soul-freedom to discover and savor the new, the full expression of LOVE that is now not just from earth-parents, but from LOVER of my soul, CREATOR God who keeps on creating in me and through me.  

So I am in week two of my commitment to experience the journey, dare I say pilgrimage, to allow my inner monk, artist and mystic to meet and create a new rhythm for my walk.

Week one reminded me of the importance and necessity of quiet time, solitude, listening deeply to life in the NOW.  Week two, just completed, considered the archetypes of monk, artist and mystic, all present within.  I took a non-judgmental look at the inner conflict that comes when the "efficient" part of me (that wants to be "grown up", responsible, get things done, and meet my goals) encounters the "free spirit" part of me (that feels like a mix of butterflies fluttering inside ready to burst out and a pudding pot boiling with sweet energy ready to make all of life dessert).  Old inner messages always favor efficiency over effervescence.  In concert my two halves agreed to following through on my commitment to follow the book (efficient) and plunge into a playful state of mind and heart (effervescent) to allow the day to unfold as it would.

Week two included contemplative time, reflection on Jeremiah 6:16, visual art exploration and finally some writing prompts.  I share here the culminating prose-poem, after a free-write to open up ideas, following the three prompts "I am going to start living like .....a monk, ....an artist....a mystic."

"New Rhythms 2013" 
by Kathie Houchens, April 13, 2013

I am going to start living like a monk...
     simply - with new focus...
     not on where will I end up,
          but on where I am now;
               not fear-filled grasping for security, 
                    but grace-filled gratitude for today and for the abundance all around!
     My senses are overwhelmed with birdsong, flower fragrance, moist grass,
            colorful Spring blooms, tender taste of early lettuce.
     Dare I walk barefoot?

I am going to start living like an artist...
     freely - with new enthusiasm...
     permission granted to "play" in color, in sound, in taste and fragrance;
          not saving up "art"  as a rainy day treat
               but making it a daily pleasure;
                    not saying to myself "work must be done first, then time for frivolity."
      I awaken daily to rainbow-hope and thrill-bound joy to be alive.
     Am I ready to spread new wings?

I am going to start living like a mystic...
     contemplatively - with deep mystery,
     willing to embrace unknowing,
          releasing my tight grip on judgment and personal goal-tending;
               allowing more serendipity daily and meeting God in the unexpected;
                    open to the slowing that restores my soul;
                    open  to the silence that unclouds my  vision, unplugs my hearing, 
                         to the hum of the universe that meets all my senses in a symphony of delight.
    What instrument will I be today?
                    


2 comments:

  1. Love the thoughts on efficiency and effervescence. What an amazing word choice...enjoy the beauty of the "and."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks always, Penny, for your affirmation, wisdom and encouragement. The "and" is very pregnant.

    ReplyDelete